The advances in technology have led to an era in which consumers have more power than ever. The average online consumer is constantly giving their point of view on different products or services through reviews, social media posts, word-of-mouth, or even their purchase patterns.
A recent study showed that approximately, 93% of people agreed that reviews can influence their purchase decision. Thanks to the internet, this information is able to spread at a really fast pace. Meaning that these “inoffensive” opinions definitely cause an impact on other people’s purchase decisions.
Since the market is filled with companies that offer almost identical products/services, it is easy for consumers to switch from one company to another that is aligned with their personal beliefs. This affects every industry in the world, even the hospitality industry. Travellers worldwide believe in implementing sustainable practices and try to purchase accordingly.
This means they are more likely to stay in a hotel that will allow them to have a sustainable stay, or already implements sustainable technology. Hence, hotels implementing green-tech or using the net-zero methodology have an advantage over those that have not started yet.
Green-tech in the hospitality industry
Technology not only facilitates access to information but also leads to innovation and the creation of new processes. In the hospitality industry, the advance in technology in conjunction with the fact that travellers are seeking a more environmentally friendly stay translates into the development of green-tech innovations. These innovations are designed to decrease the CO2 emissions and pollution caused by hotels.
Some top green-tech initiatives in the hospitality industry are:
- Occupancy sensors: not only do they help with engaging with customers but also decrease the amount of energy a hotel spends per room by automating room temperature setups, and monitoring and gathering information about behavioural patterns regarding guests’ energy intake.
- Smart building management: by allowing buildings to gather real-time insights and data, hotel managers can plan strategies that maximise energy efficiency and increase overall operational productivity.
- Intelligent cameras: food waste in hotels is a real problem that has a direct effect on the environment. An innovative way to analyse which ingredients are the most wasted is using smart scales, intelligent cameras, and AI. This gathers data that can help during the process of buying ingredients.
Net-zero methodology as a major focus on the hospitality industry
Another major focus to reduce the environmental impact of the hospitality industry is to use the net-zero methodology. It was developed to be used as a guide for the industry on how to achieve its commitment toward net-zero carbon emissions by 2030.
This methodology suggests an actionable approach, covering all the essentials while being adaptable to the individual needs of the business. Reducing carbon emissions to zero by implementing sustainable actions can be used as the baseline for all the present and future brands.
Hotels need to invest time and money into sustainable efforts such as the net-zero methodology because of two reasons.
Firstly, the hospitality industry is one of the most pollutant ones in the world, due to the constant implementation of single-use plastics, energy consumption and more. Following that, both travellers and governments are pushing for sustainable initiatives, hotels that are more sustainable will increase customers satisfaction and brand reputation, giving an advantage among the competitors.
SensorFlow can help you transition into green-tech initiatives
SmartAlloc™ by SensorFlow, is a green-tech initiative that helps reduce energy expenses and intake in hotels. It provides an energy-eﬃcient room allocation plan based on known arrivals and departures. An automated room allocation process that runs in the background of the hotel’s property management system (PMS).
Since COVID-19, hotel occupancy rates have seen their lowest ever, making it a priority for hotel managers to reduce operational costs. SmartAlloc™ is a cost-effective solution that reduces energy expenses during low occupancy costs by allocating guests to the most energy-efficient rooms.
Green-tech initiatives and the net-zero methodology are a top priority in the hospitality industry. Not only they are a key pillar in reducing global pollution but also a way of increasing hotel sustainability and profit. A few ways of implementing green initiatives into a hotel, while supporting its goal to reduce carbon emissions, are occupancy sensors, smart hotel management, technology innovations to control food waste, and many more.
SensorFlow has the best solutions such as SmartAlloc™, that can help you reduce energy expenses during low occupancy periods. Reach out to us to start implementing sustainable solutions into your hotel.
- The Role Of Big Data And Machine Learning In Hotel Energy Management
- Green-Tech And The Net-Zero Methodology Are The Future Standards In The Hospitality Industry
- How Setpoint Optimization Further Reduces Energy Costs And Consumption
- Elevating The Hospitality Industry With Eco-Friendly, Smart HVAC Solutions
- Best Hotel Sustainability Initiatives